2019 FLORIDA FOOD AND NUTRITION SYMPOSIUM CALL FOR ABSTRACTS in the following categories:
- RESEARCH POSTER SESSION
- INFORMATION SHARING POSTER SESSION
- IMPACT SESSION: ORAL PRESENTATION OF COMPREHENSIVE LITERATURE REVIEW
Members of the Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND) and graduate/undergraduate students and dietetic interns, who are members of FAND, are invited to submit an abstract for the 2019 Florida Food and Nutrition Symposium Research Poster Session, the Information Sharing Poster Session, and/or the Oral Presentation of Comprehensive Literature Review Impact Session. Entries will be reviewed for consideration by the session Chair and appointed reviewers. Each primary author may submit one abstract to each category; however, the same abstract should not be sent for consideration in more than one category. The submission deadline is May 6, 2019.
Poster and Oral Presentation Session Descriptions
1. There are two separate poster sessions:
- Information Sharing Poster Session: This session will include posters describing new programs, tools, techniques, strategies used in some aspect of providing nutrition care or nutrition services. The abstract should include appropriate background information; the objective(s), specific aim(s) or purpose of the project; relevance to dietetics practice; methods/approach used to develop the program, tool, technique or strategy; results/outcomes; and conclusions/applications.
- Research Poster Session: This session will include posters that describe research studies. The abstract should include a brief review of the literature, research objective, testable hypothesis, appropriate study design and methods (i.e., research design and methods are appropriate to test the stated hypothesis; valid tests/measurement instruments are used; etc.), statistical analysis of data, results and conclusions. Qualitative research, as described online also will be considered for this session (http://www.andjrnl.org/authorinfo).
2. There is one oral presentation session:
- Impact Oral Presentation Session: This session will include oral presentations describing the findings from a comprehensive literature review on a contemporary nutrition issue/controversy. It should provide an objective review of the literature and present sound conclusions that may be employed in practice.
3. Reviewers reserve the right to allocate each applicant’s abstract into one of the two poster sessions or the oral presentation session if it is deemed to be a better fit for a category other than the one to which it was originally submitted.
4. Posters should be designed to fit on a corkboard that is approximately 4’ x 8’. The poster session will be informal, but authors will be expected to be available during the 2 hour session to discuss their work with symposium participants. Poster presentations are scheduled as follows:
- Information Sharing Poster Session: Saturday, July 13, 2019 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Research Poster Session: Sunday, July 14, 2019, 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
5. The Impact Oral Presentation Session is scheduled for Sunday, July 14, 2019, from 5:15 PM to 6:15 PM. The oral presentation should be limited to 20 minutes and should include:
- a brief overview of the topic and the significance of the question you identified for your literature review (i.e., the question you researched and why it is important)
- the methods you used to conduct the literature review (i.e., specific databases and key words used to conduct the search; specific inclusion/exclusion criteria used to determine the studies to be reviewed; method used to evaluate the quality of the studies)
- presentation of your analysis of the studies (i.e., strength of the research)
- limitations of the current research
- summary statement/conclusions/potential implications for practice
Directions for Submission
1. Submissions are limited to one (1) abstract per primary author in each category (i.e., Information Sharing, Research, Oral Presentation).
2. Abstract specifications:
- Include the title, author(s), degrees of authors, and institutions(s)/organization(s) where the project was completed, city and state. (Do not include street address or zip code.)
3. Limit the abstract (excluding title, authors, degrees/credentials of authors, institutions(s)/organization(s) where the project was completed, city and state) to a maximum of 350 words. The abstract should provide enough detail for the reviewers to adequately evaluate the submission.
- Do not include subtitles (i.e., introduction, objective, methods, etc.) within the body of the abstract.)
- Terms that are abbreviated should be spelled out at first mention, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses.
- Submissions must be submitted online as a Word file (12 pt font). The submission must be submitted online or postmarked on or before midnight, May 6, 2019.
- A $25.00 refundable application fee payable to the Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics must be sent to the address listed below.
- Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
PO Box 12608
Tallahassee, FL 32317-2608
- The $25.00 application fee will be refunded within 30 days of the Florida FANS under one of the following conditions:
The abstract was not selected for presentation at the Florida FANS.
The poster was displayed and presented by one of the listed authors during the scheduled time. Failure of one of the authors listed on the abstract to present the poster during the scheduled time will result in forfeiture of the $25.00 application fee.
Other Important Information
- An abstract submitted by a graduate or undergraduate student must include a letter from the faculty advisor/internship director stating that the advisor has approved the submission.
- The poster must be presented by one of the authors listed on the abstract.
- A complimentary symposium registration for Saturday or Sunday (whichever day the poster or oral presentation is to be presented) will be awarded to the author presenting the poster. All other expenses must be covered by the participant.
- Notification of the status of your submission will be sent by email no later than June 17, 2019.