CULTURAL RECIPES AND FOOD RESOURCES
- African Heritage Diet resources from Oldways for background information, recipes, and a helpful Diaspora Food Glossary.
- George Washington University has compiled a fantastic list of books, articles, and podcasts for Celebrating Black History Month through Food.
- Interested in cookbooks and further food pathway readings that celebrate Black History Month food traditions? Check out the Los Angeles Public Library’s book list for ideas.
- Dr. Jessica B. Harris is a noted food historian and expert on African Diaspora food pathways. Check out her website for a list of her books and podcasts.
Pacific Island and Hawaiian
- The Vegetarian Society of Hawaii has a website with a few recipes, Hawaiian resources, and a monthly newsletter that contains some great articles and recipes.
- The Pacific Islands Cookbook has a fantastic list of local foods along with a description and nutrition facts for each, and sample recipes with suggestions for improving the nutrition profile of less healthy selections. Not all recipes are vegetarian/vegan.
- Information on food preferences and regional foods can be found on the Children’s Healthy Living Program US Affiliated Pacific Food Guide.
- Pasifika Plates is a cookbook that promotes healthy twists on traditional Pacific Island dishes. The cookbook is promoted by the Fijian Ministry of Health and Medical Services and contains many vegetarian and vegan recipes.
- Collection of Pacific Food Leaflets. This collection describes in detail 19 different traditional Pacific Island foods (all except 2 are vegetables or fruit), detail includes nutritional content, comparisons with other similar foods, and recipes.
- For insight into how nutrition is approached on some Pacific Islands, take a look at this Pacific Guidelines for Healthy Living.