Job Position Offered: Academic Advisor III – 530567
Job Status: Full-time
Job Description: Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers 196 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Academic Advisor III – 530567
Utilizes appreciative advising and coaching techniques to provide confidential academic advising to a caseload of undergraduate students. Ensures that students receive the individual attention they need to navigate their academic programs by using high-tech and high-touch approach to case management. Develops and monitors academic plans to assist students with timely graduation and support the university’s retention and graduation initiatives. Has the skills to work with at-risk populations and provide leadership and guidance to other advisors.
• Engages in professional development opportunities to further job knowledge and skills.
• Works with program faculty, career professionals, and Center for Student Engagement to stay up-to-date on engagement opportunities for students and educates advisees on potential engagement opportunities and other high-impact practices available to them.
• Completes Academic Coaching Training and utilizes techniques with special populations.
• Adheres to all State of Florida, University, NCAA, Conference USA and department rules and policies pertaining to the position of Athletic Academic Advisor. Reports any known NCAA violations or concerns to Chief Athletic Compliance Officer. Servces as Academic Athletic Liaison and handles all advertisement activities for student athletes. This includes processing mid-term and annual NCAA Progress Toward Degree forms (if questions arise related to Panther Degree Audit).
• Works with at-risk student populations and additional cohort projects.
• Serves as a mentor for new advisors.
• Assists in training of new advisors and professional development activities.
• Supervises practicum students.
• With department and college administrators, coordinates curriculum/requirement updates for PDAs, major maps, transfer guides, etc. and assists administrators with college-wide projects (e.g. transient approvals, post 90 credit changes to program/plan, excess credit petitions, PTD approval, etc.)
• Utilizes technology to manage a caseload of advisees to support students; identification of an appropriate major and their retention and on-tie graduation in the identified major.
• Responds to student messages, inquiries and requests in a timely manner (within two business days).
• Provides academic advising and guidance to prospective FIU students (both on campus and at prospective student events that occur off-campus) and current students who are considering change of major.
• Educates advisees on how to access resources and technological tools (including but not limited to Career and talent Development, Center for Academic Success, PDA, Major Maps, EAB, Handshake).
• Educates advisees on relevant policies and procedures (e.g. Excess Credit Surcharge, NC grades, Academic Salvage/Amnesty).
• Provides general career advising to students to help them plan for employment and/or future education and help facilitate career-readiness through appropriate referral to available resources and coordinates career development and readiness initiatives with campus partners.
• Conducts targeted outreach campaigns to improve retention and graduation rates.
• Acts as a student advocate, identifying potential roadblocks to success and escalating those roadblocks for resolution.
• Coordinates university-wide special projects for the team (e.g. coordinates distribution and completion of Excess Credit Surcharge list; coordinates orientations for the team).
• Coordinates/plans departmental training for advisors and assists in training of new advisors and professional development activities.
• Serves as redirection specialist for students who are not making progress towards degree.
Master’s degree and 2 years of experience in academic advising or student services experience within higher education; OR Bachelor’s degree and 4 years in academic advising or student services experience within higher education.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Education and experience in both academic advising and an appropriate academic discipline.
• Master’s degree in higher education, student development, student learning, career development, counseling, or a related field and experience in the academic discipline; OR a Master’s degree in the academic discipline and experience working in academic advising in a higher education setting.
• Background in Dietetics & Nutrition preferred.
$54,000 – $60,000
• Begin time: 8:30 AM
• End time: 5:00 PM
Criminal Background Check
• Ability to travel locally and nationally.
• Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 530567
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.