Senior Registered Dietitian (Part-Time/Nutritionist)
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Senior Registered Dietitian to join our team of professionals.
- Provides medical nutrition therapy and develops diets for chronic conditions such as autism, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, etc. utilizing current, scientific literature and best practices.
- Performs individualized nutrition assessments and, diagnoses nutrition-related problems
- Determines and implements appropriate interventions. Monitors and evaluates the outcome of interventions.
- Provides nutrition education to patients, caregivers, and family members.
- Works with a multidisciplinary team of physicians, therapists and behaviorists, family members and care givers to address nutritional and Gastrointestinal (GI) concerns of adults and/or children with autism and other related developmental disabilities.
- Conducts research and develops grants focusing on dietary interventions and outcomes in adults with autism
- Teaches and mentors dietetic interns, students, and other healthcare professionals in training including medical students, physician residents, and allied health professionals
- Conducts community outreach and education. May attend events on weekends and evenings, as needed. Consults with community partners and stakeholders as needed. Some local, state and national travel may be involved.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Master's degree in Dietetics and Nutrition and two (2) years of experience.
- Registered Dietitian
- Three to five years of clinical experience with medical nutrition therapy.
- Two years in an outpatient clinical setting working with patients requiring gluten free and dairy/casein, low carbohydrate and/or ketogenic diets.
- Experience working with adults with autism and associated GI conditions including constipation, diarrhea, food intolerance, oral sensitivities.
- Previous experience in prescribing gluten, casein free, low carbohydrate and ketogenic diets that incorporate cultural and ethnic food preferences.
- Strong background in understanding how diets, preservatives, vitamins and research based complementary and alternative therapies can be utilized to improve behaviors, sensitivities, etc.
- Proficiency in utilizing electronic medical record.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal guidance is key.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both written and verbal, empathy and cultural competence for minorities served by the Embrace Clinic.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID 512957. Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest accompanying their curriculum vitae with names and addresses of three professional references.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.